Since the year 1821, there has been a Catholic Church on a particular plot of land in St. Louis’ Carondelet neighborhood. As St. Louis Catholics laid the cornerstone of Sts. Mary and Joseph, the fourth Church built on that site, in 1940, they also assembled a time capsule containing newspaper articles, coins, religious medals, and religious booklets, all contained within a small copper box. After the parish’s closure in October 2021, the time capsule has only recently passed into the hands of the Archdiocesan Archives office, where Catholics have the opportunity to get a glimpse into the minds of their Catholic predecessors over 80 years ago.
Written in the midst of World War II, letters within the 1940 time capsule still hold relevance even today. One note in particular, written by Father George Keating, prays for peace amidst a bloody European conflict.
“At the present perilous time when all Europe is engaged in war — in death-struggle for economic supremacy,” wrote Fr. Keating, “We unite our prayers with those of his holiness Pope Pius XXII, that Almighty God in His goodness may turn the hearts of men from war to thoughts of peace.”
To read more, click here for an article from the St. Louis Review.